JUNE 2014
Have you been affected by Ciguatera Poisoning?: Yes, I have had ciguatera poisoning
How did you hear about us?: Search Engine
Tell us your story: 15 to 20 years ago my wife and I ate some contamined fish and she had all the symtoms of ciguatera poising. It was a mild case. I had some effect from the toxin but not as bad. Weh have shifted over to only eating deep water snappers and other deepwater bottom fish (400-900 ft leveles). Recently we started eating a goat fish that is caught at 300-400 feet down and never taught it may contain the toxins. My wife is experiences some mild reactions of the toxins and I may be a hypocondract buy also have a lot of thing tingling at times and leg cramps. The question is what degres of poisoning can you have and does it affect people in different ways. If fish can accumulate the toxin in their bodies man must also be doing the same. At what level do we start getting more impaird by the amount of toxins in us. I have not been able to find a website that provides any information of this kind. Sorry about all the spelling and grammer mistakes. If you blog this can you please put dates on all your information so I know how old they are.  Alfred
Alfred:
Sorry to hear you guys got sick, please see below, sorry the answers are probably not much help..

1. The question is what degres of poisoning can you have and does it affect people in different ways. It does effect people differently, per my story I got the worst case lasting over 4 months, my daughter 30 days and my wife & daughter’s boyfriend less than a week. We all ate the same fish but my daughter and I ate the most which I can only determine meant the levels of sickness were determined on how much each person ate. I’m pretty sure it also affects people in different ways regarding symptoms.

2. If fish can accumulate the toxin in their bodies man must also be doing the same. I would assume so but don’t know of any studies regarding this. The toxin comes from the reef itself and they don’t know why some fish get people sick and some don’t, that’s the crazy thing. I am shocked that you are getting symptoms from a deep water fish, everything I’ve researched shows that most cases are in shallow warm water areas. If I were you I would not eat this kind of fish for a long time, I have read studies that eating the same kind of fish after you have got sick could trigger the symptoms again so I will never eat Hogfish again.

3. At what level do we start getting more impaird by the amount of toxins in us. Sorry don’t know the answer to this either, I have very minor residual symptoms like reversal of hot & cold, some sweating of the feet and dry mouth. I’ve only eaten dolphin / mahi, wahoo & tuna side I got sick and haven’t had any major side affects to speak of. I’m still afraid of eating any reef fish but was planning on eating deep drop Queen & Yellow Eye snapper on my Bahamas trip to the Abaco’s next month, I may think twice about this after your story.

4. I have not been able to find a website that provides any information of this kind. Its disheartening that there’s not more info out there regarding Ciguatera, I’m getting more and more inquiries every month and can only tell people that time is the only thing I know of that will cure the symptoms.

Please let me know where you caught the Goat Fish? 
 
Jeff
 
Jeff
 
I live in Maui, Hawaii. The goat fish or moilua, aka Weke Nono, was caught about 8 miles off shore in 50-60 fathoms of water. This fish is also in the shallow water.

Ciguatera is a problem here but is kept quite, thats because it is not dianosed by the medical profession for what it is. There is a lot of information here but it still has to be researched out. google the honolulu advertiser in 2009 ran a story of a Kauai family who got it from a fish they ate and the husband was laid up for two months. The wife was less affected. The local univerisity has bee studying this for the past 21 years, but information is still sketchy. Someone else here has also developed a kit that you can test the fish for the toxin.
It is rare in deep water bottom fish. Kahala or amberjack is caught a lot here and it is not reccommended that you eat this fish unless you test it.
Queen snapper, I think is what we call onaga, it is caught at 130 fathoms and deeper and I do not think it visit the shallow reef. Its a very good tasting fish and very colorful. excellent raw. Here I catch that fish at 135 fathoms.
Papio or ulua is also not reccommended to be eaten because they eat a lot of reef fish. There is not a lot of cases reported in Hawaii, but I think a lot of people have mild cases of ciguatera poisoming.
Most deep water snappers are ok, deep meaning over 400′ deep or better. Hogfish or aka table boss can live in the 400-500′ depths. I consider them rubbish fish and throw them back in.
I sell my bottom fish catch to a wholesaler and he sell to restaurants.
I also posted something on a website called ‘Hawaiian Fishing Reports”.
The public just needs to be educated that this exists and then be careful in what fish they eat and how much they consume of that fish.
Small portions od questionable fish is better than a large portion. The larger the portion the more of the toxin you comsume.
Jeff, what part of the country are you from?
Aloha,
Alfred
I’m from South Florida about 50 miles north of Miami. Not sure if you only saw the blog but I also have a website that the blog is on called  www.ciguateratoxin.com  – there you will see my complete “Nightmare Story” of my ciguatera case.  Ciguatera is also very prevalent in the Virgin Islands like Hawaii and I have a link to a site for this on the home page, there’s also a short film called Reef or Madness that was made by someone at the University of Miami.

Hope you are feeling better! Again feel free to contact anytime if you have more info.
Thanks,
Jeff